Sunday 26 June 2011

hiboy steelout..time off for Laidley Powerfest

 Ever tried to steel out a 'glass body?...way more work than what you think, well, what "I" thought anyway, get the bend close...too much..rebend..try again..cut another 3mm off....it's all good fun, and keeps me active!! Here's the deck lid partly finished, the plates that are tacked in will be tapped for hinges, and I've since added some diagonal braces like I saw on Ken Brownlees http://www.deucecustoms.com.au/ webpages. It's harder than I thought to get box tubing to fit in the compound shapes of the fibreglass...now this gets all glued and covered, just hope I pick the correct goo!...will try "Techniglue" and "Bostic Seal & Flex", and hope the outer bits stay connected to the inner bits!!  hahaha
 Everything here has its place..the long curved pieces go along the deck lid edge, and will join the two 90 degree bent sections shown, that go around the rear of the seat area. The two pieces at the tunnel area are made wide, as I want to cut the tunnel out, and have it rebolt to the top of the box tubing , giving more room for a variety of trannies.....27/6th..changed my mind..not cutting the tunnel..the toploader fits, so does a T 350, so that will do. I cut the firewall off another 5 mm at the join, and the leading edge, and had to split it down the centre, and it all fits much better now!
 The roughed out idea for the deck lid shown, and the new firewall section...I cut out the stock style firewall for more clearance, as I want to set this up to clear a 454 Chev, just in case I change from my 11-1 350.. Then I will know the small block will fit easily...will have to do a crash course in fibreglassing soon....Anita!..buy me a copy of "D.I.Y. glassing for Dummies"..
 Took today off (26-6-11) to go catch up with friends at the inaugural Lake Dyer Powerfest, held at Laidley between the A.S.R.F and SEQ Powerboat clubs....very good roll up of hot rods, classics, and muscle cars, and the boat racing was entertaing for anyone who has never seen or heard this up close....the egg beaters were fast, but the old drag racer in me loved watching the "BAD" boats..blown alcohol bigblocks, injected small blocks...they sounded awesome! Will have to put that spare 283 in my tinnie and have a go..haha
 The winter weather was spot on for this event, if they have it next year, make sure you go.
And to top off the day.....look at this..a 55 Mercury Monterey owned by our Qld State ASRF director, Colin Chapman.....To think I owned this once! I bought it from an add in the Trading Post for $1800 up Gladstone way, It was mid 1980s sometime, didn't know a lot about it, but it was running, and I had my camper, so I put Anita in behind the wheel and headed home to Brissy. I didn't interest me at the time, lots of little things to fix, so I made a quick sale..it was gone in a week......kicking myself now that I just didn't put it in the shed...that's life, we've all got stories like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment