Friday 18 July 2014

Friday mish-mash...a quick catch up on all sorts of bits..

 OK...as some of you know...I have been a bit under the weather for the past two weeks...two lots of antibiotics and I am feeling good!...just in time for the August flu season!!!...anyway, it gave me time to do a few downloads with the old drag racing pics..hope you enjoyed them..here's a few more that I found while looking thru my old rod books....this is Don Bradshaws rail from S.A.  circa 1965.  Cusso power!
 This apparently is US star, Earle Poage, exiting after a run in Sydney..

 This was listed as aussies first sideplate dragster....1962
 1964/65, Max de Jerseys Holden rail vs the Ian bell/Barry Cordner Chrysler rig.
 
And this is supposed to be the first...back in 1957..Keegans front blower cusso rail!

I am still chasing up old magazines for my collection...each month, I seem to find another ten or twenty, so if you have any you want to sell, swap or give away, keep me in mind. Coffee mornings are getting spaced way apart at the moment, because of the clash with other day or weekend events...I have often wondered if anyone was interested in doing this twice a month...let me know at greg@comstar.com.au


 Saw these recently...shows how far hot rodding has come, how accepted it is, when you can buy a set of hot rod stamps to post letters with....
 I have been digging thru the old books looking up th history of Rods Incorporated, the club I co-formed with Peter Crain and Tom Fulton 50 years ago.....looking forward to the book that will be printed to mark his occasion.
 Found some old pics.....a bygone era when no one cared if you turned up at a rodrun (in QUEENSLAND) without fenders....I even got booked by the coppers for doing a skid from the lights....he was not worried about the no fenders, or the fact the rego was overdue...just old me to behave on the street, slow down, a bit,...keep the skids for the racetrack...mind you, he was shakin' a bit from having his old cop car wound out to catch me...I was three streets away before I heard the siren
 Now...here's a time the fenders might have been helpful...Les Winter and I took a supposed short cut somewhere in Northern NSW, and drove through light rain on a dirt road for an hour or so....I guess it was fun at the time...sometime around 1974,me thinks...
 Found a pic of Tommys old roadster....caused a stir at Narrandera 1975...but those slicks held up all the way from Brissy and return...but the road race front tyres were R.S. by the time we got to Narrandera.
 Here's a quick cheerio for Jon, who had his 50th a couple of weeks ago....hip hip!!
 It will be late August before our next Thursday lunch run.....I have had offers of destinations, Postville Pub, Palmers Museum, we will get to them all, but it will be either Rathdowney pub or Plainland pub next time....I will advise in time..
 Here are some pics off the net from last weekends Columbus Goodguys.....no details, just a few cars that caught my eye...
 Steadfast Mnfgs 30 day build...BB powered Model A Highboy in the background...think the one at the front is from their shop as well.
 here's a 33/34 version of the roadster I just built...
 Loook at it........now this, I would love to have in my shed..
 deuces = thumbs up!
 lotta different things here.....
 Dion, on his way to pick up his "Lobeck "award...congratulations...
 Darryl K...you need to do your convert...this looks so good..
 Another I like...colour..wheels..ride height, all spot on..
 Now....wouldn't I love this to go to the coast in......yes please!
 Steadfasts A uses a 32 tank, and lights moved up the rails...nice!
 Nice colour.....
 Another of my "wish I had one of these" cars.....try again with the lotto #s....
 OOh...another one....did I tell you how much I love these things.......
 But this would do as well.....don't change anything!
 But here's my pick...this is exactly how I wanted to do the last roadster....I really get off on the red oxide look..
 Think I had this on here before...always cool seeing old wreckers pics..
 Thinking of selling my three phase lathe, as I haven't used it since I bought it almost a year ago......(well, I haven't got three phase at my shed, so there's a good reason...)...if interested, I will be putting it on e bay in the next month probably..
 Here's some LA pics fom Les...he managed to catch up with Lynn Pew from www.pewsplace.com a great blog from California.
 and Nita cuddlin' up to Charlie..
 here's our crew, Doug, Garry, Les and myself, about to hit the swapmeet and roadster show
 and John, John, Darryl, Shane and Steve in the traders pavilion
and most of us having a break at the So-Cal open day.

No comments:

Post a Comment