Monday 17 December 2012

end of the world...special edition.

Trying to get my fenders finished before Fridays 2012 end of the world deal!!!haha.
So, I started off with making the brackets from flat steel, but they looked too bulky, so I bent some scrap 12 mm round, it seemed nicer, so I thought, "let's try 10mm...that should work!"....so between a scrap of box tubing, an old Moroso pulley, the 12mm piece welded to bench, and a convinient hole, I had my jig...made 4 identical shapes.
These are welded to tabs that bolt to the ears on the disc brake adapters, and to add strength, a 25 mm flat is welded between upper and lower...reasonably rigid now, but I think I will also weld the fenders to these brackets, rather than bolting.
I had to curve the metal to certain diameters, so took a couple of hours and some scrap steel to make this dodgy brothers roller assembly..bit rough, but it works!
As you can see, the fender brackets shaped, and the rolled material....think I should go into marketing these items under "dodgy bros" brand....or maybe "super super cheep"...it is so handy to be able to do most of your work at home!
Rear fenders up until yesterday a'noon..I have to go buy more steel flat today to strenghten these..these bolt to a pre drilled brace I welded in next to the buggy spring mount, so it serves two purposes.
Here's my "dodgy bros." bender, I made this from two old fence posts, part of an old towbar, and quite a bit of leftover scrap metal, but once again, it works fine...I used it to fold a return lip on some 12g sheet metal I had lying around, to see if I could use my home made roller to make the fenders.
As you can see, it does work, and if I spent more time being more accurate with my measurements..(I cut this all out with a cut off wheel and used my eyes as to where to fold)...anyway, it works, but I am having www.oz-rods.com roll them up properly for me..will have them sometime this week and the fenders will be on before the end of the world!!


No comments:

Post a Comment