Sunday 7 April 2013

Remembering the past...old faces at the Nats will do that!!

So, every Nationals, I seem to catch up with someone from my past, and we talk about the early (good old) days of hot rodding....I got into it at about age 13, (1963), and helped start Rods Inc. Hot Rod Club in high school, 1964....Myself, Peter Crain, and Tom Fulton sat together and did as much hot rod stuff as we could, when we were supposed to learn Algebra!!...I mentioned thatI had some old club cards somewhere, so this is my dog-eared collection.
Who knows when I got them...the Vic. ones probably at the 1st Nats in 1973, but the NSW ones could be from our many trips to Roselands/Bankstown/Mattara hot rod shows, or the early Coffs/Port McQuarry/Kempsey/Tamworth runs.
The Bill Warner one came from a trip I did to Sydney in 1965 from memory...think I bought a foot gas pedal and a three carb fuel log.....which I sold to Gentleman Jim Reed!....Not sure about the Dave Andrews card, but the West Coast one has Vince Berrimans name on the back.
Here were the main clubs from Brisbane...well, at least they all had cars and licences....and they helped organise a lot to do with the formation years of rodding in Queensland..
Here's a trio of early Rods Inc cards, and who remembers the United Drag Team?..This one had Elwyn Bess on it..other members from memory..ChickenMan Ricky Stapleton..Nigel Cresser maybe...don't remember any more.
These 4...who rembers the Yankiwi Wanderers...wonder where they ever ended up, I remember the highboy T tub they were building.....top right was the Mag wheel centres pricing for wheels..cheap enough!!..bottom left was Stomper leaving a message on a Hustlers card for Tom Fulton....and I found this one and only dodgy photo of when I ran the mechanical fuel injection on my 283 powered A bucket....talk about over kill, it went 12.30 with a single 600 Holley, 12.70 when I stuck a Tunnelram and twin 390s on it...and 13.1 with the stupid injector..wouldn't pull a greasy stick out of a dogs clacker!!.go figure!!
Les Winter brought Ralph Stapley over to meet me at the Nats, he was another that I had forgotten about that went on my honeymoon...haha..65 of us off to USA, and I knew about 30 or more, so in one way, Anita and I got little peace.....(however, I did get a little piece!)
Customline + smoking + drinks + power pole = crash....1971 was the year that I rearranged the front of the car, as well as the 4 of us inside...thank goodness for the solid frame, or we might not be here..ended up with two broken legs,two broken fingers, but that was fun, girls felt sorry for me..(aaaw Taylor St Camping, Toowoomba )..Normie Dean used to carry me to his 57 T Bird to go up to the pub, with my leg sticking out the side...I still have the s.s. pin that they shoved down the centre of my leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment