Monday 4 January 2016

memories from the 50s n 60s...

 This blog is for me and Doug...the memories....I had to go up to Annerley yesterday, and couldn't resist taking a peek at the old Junction Park State School...I went there from 1955 to 1963...and Doug followed a few years later..who else went to this school?
 seem to remember that this was grade 1 & 2 classrooms, backed up against the swimming pool..
 and our school had the only pool in the area in the 50s...so lots of other schools sent their kids in buses....I still have all my cerfificates from the various swim events..
 not so fond memories of being in grade 3 in this block...seems I remember sitting for an exam...trying to finish in the alloted time...but I peed my pants instaead of asking to go out......vaguely remember having to sit downstairs while my pants dried...poor little 8 year old didn't know any better.....probably another 20 years and I will be back to no control, and pee-ing my pants again

 Now here's a good/bad memory..just past the tree is where we used to play marbles, and dig holes and muck around...and at the time..World Championship Wrestling was on ...we alll wanted the moves like "Killer Kawolski"...anyway..I was locked in abattle with someone...he spun me around near 360 degrees..trouble was my foot was in one of the holes in the ground...just as we crashed to the ground, the recess bell went, I got up to un, but the foot was now 90 degrees to the leg...yikes!..3 months in plaster!!..
 the next two memories from this angle...my room was on the 2nd floor there... and looked back towards where the groundsmen burnt all the rubbish in those old concrete incinerators..and the stench came straight into our room...also there, remember sitting in the sun, the old milk crates full...that we had to drink hot!!...pretty sure I remember I used to sit next to the window, and next to Geraldine Turner...well, I've said that for years, but can't really remember for sure...she went on to become one of Aussies female stage/tv/film actors..
 The school playground/sports field, tennis at the back, cricket pitch in the middle, and the school fetes, where I remember they would bring in a couple of speedway stock cars, cram about 10 or 12 of us in at a time, hanging on to anything we could find, while they did figure of 8s or circle work....it felt dangerous and exciting....truth is, they probaly were only doing 10 mph....
 The side gate from the sports-field, where "Smeely Kelly" would park his pie van, think it was an old FJ, complete with a smoking little chimney out the top, and get your pie for threepence...
 or...you walked across the road to the school shop, and lashed out on a cream bun, or a coffee roll, or bought a bottle of Cottees pineapple, or Kirks sasparilla, and finished off the meal with a ten pack of the lollies called "Fags"
and this is where I discovered my love of cars..mechanical things..aeroplanes..the library at the top of the street...would spend hours there reading up on Popular Mechanicis, Life magazine, National Geographic...WW2 stories...................anyway...enough of this..back to cars stuff!!

No comments:

Post a Comment