Thursday 9 October 2014

a little progress report on the little deuce coupe..

 First...a reminder that even though it's Bathurst weekend..I will still be having my coffee morning at Vicky Point......I'm going a bit early, 'cause I want to be back home in time to see the start of the race at 9:30...it's at lakeside shops as usual.


 So...an update on the coupe is in order.....the weeks have been hectic in between visiting people in hospital, ten pin, grandkids, yard work...but it has improved a bit..
 I dragged the old 327 Chev out and hooked up a spare T350 ready for the test fit..
 I also haven't finished the correct reasrend yet, so I just tacked a spare 56 1/2" Maverick in it, spaced it about 2" to approximate the ride height...I have the rear 75 x 50 x 6 rear xmember in place, and I fitted 3 crush tubes/5/8"th internal, so I can move the coil-overs around a bit if needed...also just tacked the hairpins in roughly in their almost final location..I still need to form the rear part of the x member, but can't do that until the rest of the triangulated 4 bar brackets are made up.
 where the sb sits now will just clear a radiator, but it is probably a little low if I want to clear the HQ steering box, and retain the fuel pump, as all my other 32s....the 327 probably could go back about an inch maybe...
 I'm happy with the way it all looks at the moment...but couldn't resist trial fitting the body..I want to see how it all goes, seeing as this body was on a different frame once..
 well...it sorta fits.. I had to drag the 327 forward a tad, as that big HEI hit the firewall....I could always recess it, but just easier to slide in a Mallory or maybe my look-alike Vertex magneto that has electronic internals.  the body is hung up at the front a tad..just clipping the top of the T350......have to maybe alter the body or drop the tranny a little.... I set the wheelbase at 106 1/2, 1/2 longer than henry..this usually helps the rear fit the fenders better
 hey, if it was going to be a highboy, that maverick 8" would be perfect!
 Yeah..I'm lazy, I should have changed out the distributor before the install...made me laugh thinking about the engine mounts, in my old Model A bucket in 1974, the Chevy was mounted like this with a channel shape plate from the motor, sitting on top of the frame, with a bit of rubber for vibration, and a blt with no crush sleeve straight down thru the frame...worked just fine...but the current TAC would not be impressed.......
 The back of the T350 just touches the 1" box tube floor support..maybe I should just switch to my spare powerglide, as it is slightly smaller in this area
 The rear can go down about an inch though,...but got to remember about wanting to move the engine up to clear the HQ steeringbox, so looks like a bit more measuring. I have plenty to go on with now, and the rest of the year is going to get busy...I have jury duty later this month, and that runs into Yamba rod run week, and next thing you know, it'll be Xmas...and Summer also means more yard work, more events....phew!
 The Deuce Customs body fits well, and it's great that lots of bracing.seat belt mounts etc are all their, saves me a lot of work..
 Handy having my sedan next door to check measurements, like the fitting of the rear x member...notice how these boxing plates went all the way back to the tank, and din't stop short like the ones I used in the coupe..
 everything is a bit tight back here, so measurements are critical..
 on my sedan, I fitted the bottom 4 bar under the frame, and cut the running board...the new kit mounts it on the inside of the frame, ...and I will use triangulated rather than paralel like the tudor, save having to fit a panhard bar....I took the time to move the rh rear of the tudor back 1/4"..something I've been meaning to do for 4 years now...haha
here's the reason I'm cancelling November 2nd coffee.....as I, like many others, want to go support the QHRP swap.
 couldn't resist seeing if the wheelbase is somewhere near correct at 106 1/2"
 Gotta get the rear ends correct....the uncut fenders and still the tyres hang out...maybe I should measure this rear again, it might be a 57 5/8" compact fairlane and not a maverick...I also have an xy 59 1/2" 8" rear as well...so plenty to choose from to cut up!
 have enough room on the inside to loose an inch or more off the width..i'm going 55".
 "maybe I'll just widen the fenders to suit the wheels"....said no true hot rodder ever!!!
 almost forgot...last day to get tickets!!..Rods Inc 50th next Sat nite, 18th!!
he's the plan for my frame, basic copy of what Darryl Kuhnemann did for me back in 2002 for my bluey/black sedan...and below is why I like the grey look, I know it's been done before, but I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment