Monday 12 June 2017

Who just had a busy few days..I did!

 So..I started off on Thursday with a trip down to Cooloongatta to visit with friends, and see how Cooly Rocks was shaping up..being Thursday, not so many cars, but still, this place has the atmosphere...music..cars..traders..it was in full swing..
 I was told this Mustang? was built from an XA two door.......??
 nice..
 old school import had a nailhead
 love my early aussie cars..this EK was neat
 lotza rods
 another of my favourites
 nice 5w
 nice old style bucket..
 forgot my camera, so had to catch cars like this coupe with my phone..
 Mustangs..they never get old..love them..
 Toowoomba Tail-Dragger
 my kind of ute..wish I had one..
 wasn't quick enough to get this WW2 inspired A
 old Holden ute..just like my son and I built in '95..
 lets face it..I like just about any car...always wanted a T Bird..
 and..would rather an early F truck than the other 48 ute earlier..
 did everyone once own an FX or FJ..always popular
Twiggys was a beauty...very well bulit..
Next day..Friday..made the trek up the coast to see what was on offer at the Beachfest...well, it was a sideline to my visit to see good friend darryl Kuhnemann who has not been well of late...was nice to see him in good spirits, and I heard he was wheeled thru the main street on saturday to see the cars, and the people..nice!

 Now..I won't comment on most of these pics, as there are a lot..some of mine, some courtesty of others...
 these are mine from the Friday, where the cars assembled for the poker run..



































 apparently, on the saturday, over 700 cars parked in the streets for the show n shine..great effort from Col Chapman and the ASRF crew

















Come Saturday, and I was off to the drag racing at Willowbank..didn't want to miss this 50th Anniversary meet, seeing as drag racing was such a big part of my life, from the late 60s to late 90s.
 as usual..Santo Rapisada brought all guns blazing, with multiple entries in Top Fuel..his commitment to the sport is incredible, bringing drivers and crew chiefs over, but his two boys, Santorini and Sant Jr tuned each of their respective cars to almost world beating times..a 4.44 and a 4.48..amazing!
 one of THE runs of the meet was Damian Muscat..he carried the front from start to finish..arrow straight..and 6.48 @ 253mph on the back wheel...more balls than anyone I know!!
 Pity that aussie legend, Victor Bray couldn't make it..a medical condition saw him in hospital, with no chance to get to the track for his new sponsors major meet..hope you get better soon, Vic.
 also nice to catch up with Stomper..John Winterburn..recognised for 50 years of dedication to helping shape and run drag racing in Australia.
 Doorslammers...my favourite..
 The master of them..John Zappia...later this year, he teams up with Jamie Noonan to have a go at USA racing....good luck to the team!!



 hard to take pics of the racing unless you're up high..


 was easier taking shots of the screen..




 hot rod doorslammer..my kinda car!
 huge crowd..
Good friends,  Fabietti and Belleri had enough points during qualifying, so went on to win the championship, even though rain cancelled the final day..
 worlds fastest HQ...John Zappia is the man to beat...
 Bam...when I quit 20 years ago, best I ran was 6.66 at 210mph..John goes a second quicker and 45mph faster...thats progress!!


 at least my names still there from 30 years ago...
 here we are catching up with one of our crew members from back in the day, Arturo Thomas, and also, great friend and Ford lover from Sydney, Bennie Gatt
Thanks, Gulf Western..sponsors help make these enjoyable days....now for a few days off..lol

No comments:

Post a Comment