Saturday 6 September 2014

it's a frame up...some one help me......

 So...I'm sittin' their having big lunch, and I thought I may as well try the two different rails , just for my own curiosity....this has probably be done by hundrds before me, but I just have never heard or read how they all compare to stock henry..first up..ASC....you can see why you need a jig, as these are clamped to the front n rear uprights, but miss the centre by a 1/2" or more....
 And..as compared to the stock rails...I bolted the rear to the upright, but the ASC is out 1/2 a hole in the front....close enough, me thinks...
 So then I said to myself...why not bolt all three together while they sit on a common RHS...this should be interesting..
 Pretty good along here...notice the different width rails on ASC to the red JWs
 Here's wher it gets messy...the JW bolted up, fron and rear, but the ASC didn't want to play the game....it was even a bit twisted to the outside...that would make it a bit hard to clamp in the jig..and the droop was....droopier, if that's a word..
 Hmmm...scratches his head.....
 OK...so the bolt pattern must be right...but..hello....ASC seems to be out a bit..
 moving along...ignore the photo-bombing toes...
 JWs hump a bit more...also centr of hump is a little different on each...only 1/2" or so.
 Here's the stock firewall hole Henry and JW are on the same page....ASC back a tad
 Same half way along the frame....
 But then ..ASC has a win with the rear body hole...JW just off a bit..
 So..time to put JWs in the same jig...with the rails sitting on the bottom height location tabs, and adjusted for diagonal, it's close, not quite the same, just down a 1/2 a hole
 Rear is closer, but good enough I guess......well, I hope so....this is where I am going to start welding...diagonals are within 1/8th...while the heights/levels are just about the same...seems to be a compromise in a few places, but 1/8th" shouldn't worry it....especially when I checked my own sedan and found the front 1/2" narrower than what the plans say...must be a bit of tolerance, I'm hoping.
 Drug out every level I had in the place...all pretty good....fronts just about perfect.
 Rears a bit out, maybe 1/8th from the hump to the rear...not sure what to do......
Think I'll just leave it and weld it.....might tack a few bits on next week........
Fathers Day tomorrow...hope to see some of you at the coffee run......Victoria Point Lakeside shops at 7am until whenever...

No comments:

Post a Comment