Friday 5 September 2014

so.....here we go again...just another 'glass deuce to build....

 Interesting when you start a new project like this.....a lot of research to make sure the frame goes together correctly....so, check some plans...but that's where you can get confused...I have these plans pictured, as well as the commonly used Wescott plans, and some others from various places...well.....they all differ ever so slightly....it's only an 1/8th inch here n there...but.I guess, close enough= good enough!
I first want to thank Malcolm Case for loaning me his stock mint 32 frame, as well as Ozrods for the loan of their jig...I need the frame to locate all the facory holes for a fendered car, but I took the time to drop Mals frame in the jig....to be sure....
Hmmm...some of these dimension differ on the two plans.....but onlu an 1/8th here n there.....Mals frame is obviously super straight, as all side to side..diagonals..etc. are all pretty well perfect..not bad for 82 years old!!..Hope I'm that straight when I'm that old!
You can never hve enough clamps..tape measures.levels..
Spreader bars.....I have this universal rear one I made for my last deuce roadster...it's made about 1/2" short, as that frame came from USA..supposedly a P&J jobbie, but the rear horns were only 39 1/2" wide....factory width is 40 1/8".......and get this....even though all the plans say 40" wide here...most spreader bars sold thru shops are short by either 1/4' or 3/8th....ummmmm..why?....................same goes for the front!
The jig and genie frame fitted and measured up easily, just a couple of packers her n there to get it darn near perfect...now I can try the ASC and JW rails in the jig, and start the welding..
Got the boxing plates organised..
JW on top with the "C" notch,,ASCs on the floor..
see....factory original spreader bar is a tad wider than what all the plans say, but it's obviously close enough...1/8th inch is all...
Here's another hiccup...just about every plan says the front should be 23 3/4" over-all....but with the factory spreader bar ,it's only 23 5/8th"...and if you go online to e buy and look up widths of spreader bars for sale...I found 23"..23 1/8..23 3/16,..23 1/4...but it obviously doesn't matter, as I checked my own tudor with a Melbourne fabbed frame, and it is only 23 5/16 over all......so I guess it doesnt matter, but I did pack the jig with a little spacer to get it to about ....close enough!!
square as...this is a nice frame........sure you want it back, Mal?
Haha...did you hear about the three spreader bares that turned up at the frame.......one of them fitted......
I have to address the strength in the "C" area, as all the forces exerted on the rear x member are behind the C...think I will start with a 4 or 5 mm plate insered inside before boxing...might even make it into a channel like Henry Ford did in late 32 frames

No comments:

Post a Comment